The following research group sites show a portion of the research conducted in the department. It is not comprehensive.
- Glass and optical materials projects
- Polymer surfaces & interfaces projects
- Alloy solidification and physical metallurgy
The results of this research are approximately 125 scholarly publications per year, well over 100 patents held by our faculty members, and two prestigious R&D 100 Awards in the last several years.
- Glass and optical materials publications
- Polymer surfaces & interfaces publications
- Computational materials engineering publications
Funding and Expenditures
Funding for this diversified program of research comes from federal agencies (especially DOE, NSF, Department of Commerce, FAA, NASA, NIST), as well as industrial sponsors.
Annual research expenditures of the MSE Department are approximately $15 million each year, which is the highest among the departments in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University, and is among the highest for comparable departments in the nation.