- Assistant Professor
- Mike and Denise Mack Faculty Fellow
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Chemical & Biological Engineering
Main Office2220BK Hoover
Ames, IA 50011
EducationPh.D. Physical Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 2007 B.S. Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Institute of Technology, 2003
- Reprogramming tumor associated macrophages: Engineering polymer surface properties to discriminately deliver drugs
- Developing pro-angiogenic polymers to increase the survival of encapsulated islets for type 1 diabetes therapy
- Imaging the foreign body response
- CH E/B M E 220 - Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
Brief BiographyWork Experience: 2011-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering/Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Iowa State University 2008-2011, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Postdoctoral Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- A. Boddupalli,^ L. Zhu,^ K.M. Bratlie Methods for Implant Acceptance and Wound Healing: Material Selection and Implant Location Modulate Macrophage and Fibroblast Phenotypes 2016, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 5, 2575. ^These authors contributed equally to this manuscript.
- A. Dunn-Sale, K.M. Bratlie Identifying Factors of Microparticles Modified with Arginine Derivatives That Induce Phenotypic Shifts in Macrophages 2016, ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering, 2, 946.
- H.C. Bygd, K.M. Bratlie The effect of chemically modified alginates on macrophage phenotype and biomolecule transport 2016, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 104, 1707.
- A. Boddupalli, K.M. Bratlie Multimodal imaging of harmonophores and application of high content imaging for early cancer detection (invited review) 2015, Materials Discovery, 1, 10.
- H. Tran, K.M. Bratlie Inhibition of MMP-13 with modified polymer particles (invited Gabor A. Somorjai Festschrift) 2015, Surface Science 648, 371.
- D. Akilbekova, K.M. Bratlie Quantitative Characterization of Collagen in the Fibrotic Capsule Surrounding Implanted Polymeric Microparticles through Second Harmonic Generation Imaging 2015, PLoS ONE 10, e0130386
- H.C. Bygd, D. Akilbekova, A. Munoz, K.D. Forsmark, K.M. Bratlie Poly-l-arginine based materials as instructive substrates for fibroblast synthesis of collagen 2015, Biomaterials 63, 47
- H.C. Bygd, K.D. Forsmark, K.M. Bratlie Altering in vivo macrophage responses with modified polymer properties, 2015, Biomaterials 56, 187.
- D. Wang, K.M. Bratlie On the influence of polymer chemistry on cytokine secretion from polarized macrophages, 2015, ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering 1, 166.
- D. Akilbekova, R. Philiph, A. Graham, K. M. Bratlie Macrophage reprogramming: Influence of latex beads with various functional groups on macrophage phenotype and phagocytic uptake in vitro, 2015, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 103A, 262.