Our strong commitment to student achievement will make you glad you chose Iowa State!
The materials engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
Program Educational Objectives
ABET defines Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) as “broad statements that describe what graduates are expected to attain within a few years of graduation.”
Within the scope of the MSE mission, the objectives of the Materials Engineering Program are to produce graduates who:
A. practice materials engineering in a broad range of industries including materials production, semiconductors, medical/environmental, consumer products, and transportation products.
B. engage in advanced study in materials and related or complementary fields.
- Each of the Program Educational Objectives listed above are promoted by Student Outcomes (1-7) below.
At the time of graduation, graduates in Materials Engineering will have demonstrated:
1. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
2. an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
3. an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
4. an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
5. an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
6. an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions; and
7. an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Undergraduate Enrollment and Graduation Data
|Academic year||Fall enrollment||
Annual Graduation Data
|2019-2020||206||Available Summer 2020|
Additional Accreditation Information (HLC)
Iowa State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.