Transfer Students

How to transfer and become an ISU student:

  1. Apply to ISU
  2. Receive an acceptance letter from ISU
  3. Pay your admittance fee to the university
  4. Meet with your academic advisor from the Materials Science and Engineering Department

Campus Visits

Schedule a campus visit with the Admissions Office. When you come for your visit, you will go on a campus tour, attend information sessions, and talk with an academic advisor.

Transferring from a Community College?

Use the transfer plans for the College of Engineering to find courses that transfer from various Community Colleges in Iowa and Illinois to the Mat E undergraduate program at ISU.

Find out which courses can be transferred to fulfill the U.S. diversity and international perspectives requirements.

It is also required that you fulfill the First-Year Composition requirements (English 104 and 105). A transfer credit evaluation by the office of admissions will determine whether or not any composition courses taken at your community college will transfer as ENGL 104 and/or ENGL 105.

Transferring Courses

After applying to ISU, the Admissions Office will review your transcript from the other institution. Admissions will send you a Transfer Credit Evaluation form indicating which courses were accepted to transfer to ISU with your official admissions letter.


  • Only courses with a grade of “C” or better will be considered.
  • Not all courses that transfer to ISU can be used toward the Mat E undergraduate program.

Courses not on a List of Approved Transfer Courses

If you do not see some of your courses on the list of accepted transfer courses, contact Admissions directly at 1-800-262-3810 for a Transfer Credit Evaluation of the course(s) in question.

If Admissions evaluates the course as a 100-, 200-, or 300-level course, that means that it is not a specific ISU equivalent course. Rather, it is a freshman (100), sophomore (200), or junior (300) level course.

Once you are on campus, you can have a faculty member from the appropriate department (i.e. the sociology department if it’s a sociology class you want to be evaluated) conduct a specific review of the transfer course.

If you want to determine whether a particular course would prepare you for the next course in a prerequisite sequence, it is recommended that you take the course and have it reviewed when you arrive on campus.