If you wish to use any MSE characterization equipment, you must do the following:
- Join iLab (see iLab section below for procedure)
- Carefully read our training policy, and fill out a training application:MSE Characterization Labs Training Policy and Procedure 10-20-2020. Please note the safety training classes to take on Learn@ISU. **Due to COVID-19, in lieu of having your PI sign the form, you may CC your PI on the email in Step 3.
- Email your registration form to email@example.com
- MSE Lab Staff will contact you about a training time and inform you of any additional safety or equipment training required for the equipment you’ll use.
- Meet for training with MSE Lab Staff (every user must be trained by MSE Lab Staff).
- Fill out and submit a lab access form: Building/Room Access Request form. You will not be given access to the lab until all of your safety training is verified and equipment training is complete.
If you have any questions, please contact the Lab Supervisor, Michelle Grawe.
MSE is now using iLab for equipment scheduling and billing. Please register for an account following the SOP’s below. You can find the website through your Okta portal (you can add the iLab app) or here:
- How to join iLab: iLab Registration
- How to log in to iLab and make an equipment reservation: iLab Login Instructions
- How to record usage for equipment that charges per sample instead of per hour: How to Add Charges for a Sample
- SOP’s For Lab PI’s:
Technician costs for all MSE and internal Iowa State users is an additional $40/hour
Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA): $20/hour
Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA): $20/hour
Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA): $20/hour
Thermomechanical Analysis (TMA): $20/hour
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC): $20/hour
Saw Cuts: $5/cut
Mounting: $7 per hour
Polishing: $7 per hour
Vibro-energy Mill: $1 per hour
Tensile Testing: $25/hour
Impact Testing: $2 per sample
Micro-hardness Testing: $22 per hour
Macro-hardness Testing: $5 per sample
FEI Inspect F50 Scanning Electron Microscope: $48/hour
Optical Microscopy: $10/hour
Technician cost is $40/hour additional charge
Our high-temperature furnace designations: 46100, 54500, 46200, 59300
All other designations are low-temperature furnaces
High temperature (over 1100C) $3/hour
Low temperature: $3/hour
Longer runs are capped at $200
X-Ray Diffractometer (XRD): $15/hour, one-hour minimum
Sputter Coating Device: $10 per run: gold, silver, Pt/Pd
Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) and UV-vis: $10/hour, one-hour minimum
3D Printer: $2/meter filament fee + $5 sign in fee
GPC: $10/hour, one-hour minimum
Zetasizer: $10/hour, one-hour minimum
Lab Chemicals/Supplies: As used
Miscellaneous equipment: Cost is as agreed upon by user and Lab Coordinator
Equipment listed on the shared labs webpage may be available to those outside of the university/industry partners depending on current lab capacity. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or inquiries.
External rates are double the listed internal rates.
Technician assistance for all external users is an additional $80/hour.